Skip to main content


Welcome to our FAQ! To find answers to your questions, please use the search feature below or browse the Featured Questions and Top 20 FAQs. If a FAQ does not answer your question, you can email our office for assistance by clicking on a specific FAQ, then clicking "I need more information about this subject" at the bottom of the answer.

Top of page


To search within a category, select the category from the dropdown list and enter your question or search term in the keyword box. To view all questions in a category, select the category from the dropdown list and leave the keyword box empty.

Top of page

Question detail

Back to search results Back to search results
Motor Vehicle
Do I need insurance to renew my car or truck registration/decal?
This answer has been viewed 2242 times and was last updated on 09/13/2018.
Print this page Print this page

Not a Manatee County resident?  Effective 7/24/17, Out-of-County residents needing to process title and/or registration transactions for vehicles, boats, and mobile homes can only be served at First Manatee South County Tag Agency, located at 5756 14th St W, Bradenton.

In order to renew online at, your insurance information for your car or truck must be "on file" with the Department of Motor Vehicles. (This means that you have a current Florida insurance policy for your car or truck written by a Florida agent who regularly notifies the Department of Motor Vehicles of your continued insurance coverage.)

Visit within 3 months of your expiration month to confirm your insurance is "on file". If renewing by mail, you must complete the insurance affidavit on the back of your renewal notice(s) for any motor vehicles that require it. (Refer to the special message area of the notice for details.)

If renewing in person, you must always be prepared to present a current Florida insurance card or the complete policy for all motor vehicles being renewed. The card/policy must include the policy number, state of issuance, expiration date and a listing of vehicles covered by VIN #.

Please note that large commercial trucks with gross vehicle weights of 26,001 lbs or more require additional insurance coverages that must be indicated on a Certificate of Insurance document that is required when renewing by mail and in person. These types of vehicles may be prohibited from renewing online.

For additional information on registration renewals, view our Registration Renewal publication.

Users who viewed this answer also found the following helpful:
I have a heavy truck or I plan on buying a heavy truck; what are the requirements and fees?
I am active duty or retired military. Are there any special pricing, privileges or exemptions available for me when titling or registering a car, truck or motorcycle?
What kind of license plates do you offer?
What is required to title and register a motor scooter or to register a moped?
How do I change the address on my car, truck, motorcycle or trailer registration?

Top of page