Skip to main content


Welcome to our FAQ! To find answers to your questions, please use the search feature below or browse the Featured Questions and Top 20 FAQs. If a FAQ does not answer your question, you can email our office for assistance by clicking on a specific FAQ, then clicking "I need more information about this subject" at the bottom of the answer.


To search within a category, select the category from the dropdown list and enter your question or search term in the keyword box. To view all questions in a category, select the category from the dropdown list and leave the keyword box empty.

Search by category   

Input keyword(s) 

 Back to Search Results
Driver License
What is required to obtain a Commercial Driver License (CDL)?
This answer has been viewed 2813 times and was last updated on 02/06/2018.
 Print this page

Not a Manatee County resident?  Effective 7/24/17, Out-of-County residents can only be served at our Driver License Office, located at 904 301 Blvd W, Bradenton.  An appointment is required.  Visit to schedule an appointment.  Out-of-County residents must select the “Non-Manatee County Resident DL/ID Card Transaction” Service in order to be served.  Testing services (e.g. road testing, written exams) are provided for Manatee County residents only.

All Commercial Driver License transactions require an appointment and the completion of a Driver License application.

General Transaction Information and Requirements

Commercial License (CDL) Information and Requirements

  • View the CDL Classifications, Endorsements, and Restrictions Chart to determine which class of license you will need.
  • Refer to our Customer Information Publication for instructions on how to upgrade from a Class E license to a Commercial License (CDL).
  • Additional information on Commercial Learner Permits (Instructional Permits) can be found in this brochure provided by the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.
  • Access our CDL Federal Vision Waiver Customer Information Publication for more information about vision requirements and exceptions.
  • If you have been disqualified from driving a Commercial Motor Vehicle, refer to our CDL Disqualifications Customer Information Publication to view your options for reinstatement.

Services Our Office Does Not Provide

Users who viewed this answer also found the following helpful:
How do I clear a suspension on my driver license?
How do I clear a financial responsibility (FR) insurance suspension on my driver license?
Do all offices offer full driver license services or do some only offer limited services?
How do I clear a DUI suspension or revocation on my driver license?
Where can I take the Class E Road Test?