Skip to main content


Welcome to our FAQ! To find answers to your questions, please use the search feature below or browse the Featured Questions and Top 20 FAQs. If a FAQ does not answer your question, you can email our office for assistance by clicking on a specific FAQ, then clicking "I need more information about this subject" at the bottom of the answer.

Top of page


To search within a category, select the category from the dropdown list and enter your question or search term in the keyword box. To view all questions in a category, select the category from the dropdown list and leave the keyword box empty.

Top of page

Question detail

Back to search results Back to search results
Motor Vehicle
When am I exempt from paying sales tax on a car, truck, motorcycle or trailer?
This answer has been viewed 2018 times and was last updated on 06/26/2017.
Print this page Print this page

Not a Manatee County resident?  Effective 7/24/17, Out-of-County residents needing to process title and/or registration transactions for vehicles, boats, and mobile homes can only be served at First Manatee South County Tag Agency, located at 5756 14th St W, Bradenton.

There are very specific circumstances in which you may be exempt from paying sales tax on the purchase price of a car, truck, motorcycle or trailer:

(1) When you move from another state and you've been the titled owner in that state for at least 6 months or longer.

(2) When a motor vehicle is given to you, from an individual, for no consideration in return (no money exhanges hands).

(3) When you trade motor vehicles with someone else and no additional consideration is exchanged.

(4) When you inherit a motor vehicle from someone who is deceased.

Other situations may qualify for a full or partial sales tax exemption.

View our sales tax page for additional information.

Users who viewed this answer also found the following helpful:
I have a heavy truck or I plan on buying a heavy truck; what are the requirements and fees?
I am active duty or retired military. Are there any special pricing, privileges or exemptions available for me when titling or registering a car, truck or motorcycle?
What kind of license plates do you offer?
What is required to title and register a motor scooter or to register a moped?
How do I change the address on my car, truck, motorcycle or trailer registration?

Top of page