Skip to main content


Welcome to our FAQ! To find answers to your questions, please use the search feature below or browse the Featured Questions and Top 20 FAQs. If a FAQ does not answer your question, you can email our office for assistance by clicking on a specific FAQ, then clicking "I need more information about this subject" at the bottom of the answer.

Top of page


To search within a category, select the category from the dropdown list and enter your question or search term in the keyword box. To view all questions in a category, select the category from the dropdown list and leave the keyword box empty.

Top of page

Question detail

Back to search results Back to search results
Property Tax
I paid the wrong property tax account (erroneous payment). What do I need to do?
This answer has been viewed 2694 times and was last updated on 10/09/2018.
Print this page Print this page

Florida Statutes 197.182: If you pay taxes on a parcel in error, you must send a written request for reimbursement by certified mail, return receipt requested, to the owner of the property on which taxes were paid in error to the most current address on record. Include with the request letter a copy of the original paid tax receipt. If the owner does not respond within 45 days, send the following documents to our office:

  • A completed form DR-462 (Application for Refund of Ad Valorem Taxes),
  • A copy of the letter requesting reimbursement from the property owner,
  • The green return receipt card (or online verification from the USPS) and
  • The original paid tax receipt & proof that the property has not been sold to a third party.

Refunds for payment in error must be requested within 18 months of the date the taxes were paid in error (or 12 months if the taxes are delinquent) and prior to any transfer of the property to a third party.

Users who viewed this answer also found the following helpful:
What payment methods are available for property taxes?
How do I apply for Homestead Exemption on my property taxes?
What are Ad Valorem Taxes?
What are Non-Ad Valorem Assessments?
I have a question about my Community Development District (CDD) assessment; who do I contact?

Top of page