Skip to main content


Welcome to our FAQ! To find answers to your questions, please use the search feature below or browse the Featured Questions and Top 20 FAQs. If a FAQ does not answer your question, you can email our office for assistance by clicking on a specific FAQ, then clicking "I need more information about this subject" at the bottom of the answer.

Top of page


To search within a category, select the category from the dropdown list and enter your question or search term in the keyword box. To view all questions in a category, select the category from the dropdown list and leave the keyword box empty.

Top of page

Question detail

Back to search results Back to search results
I have an old boat that was only used on a private lake/pond, so it has never been titled or registered in Florida. What do I need to do to register it now?
This answer has been viewed 4945 times and was last updated on 10/09/2018.
Print this page Print this page

Not a Manatee County resident?  Effective 7/24/17, Out-of-County residents needing to process title and/or registration transactions for vehicles, boats, and mobile homes can only be served at First Manatee South County Tag Agency, located at 5756 14th St W, Bradenton.

This transaction is only processed at one of the following locations:

  • The First Manatee South County Tag Agency - 5756 14th St W, Bradenton 34207.  Open Mon - Fri 9am-6pm & Sat 9am-2pm.  This office accepts cash and check only.  A 2% fee will be charged on check transactions to guarantee funds.  Appointments can only be scheduled online.
  • The DeSoto office - 819 301 Blvd W, Bradenton, 34205.  Open Mon - Fri 9-5.  Appointments can only be scheduled online.

To process the transaction:

  • The boat must be 5 years old or older.
  • All owners will need to be present with their valid (unexpired) state-issued license/ID or valid (unexpired) passport.
  • If the boat was purchased from someone, a bill of sale will need to be provided. The seller must specify the purchase price and include an affidavit that explains why the boat was never titled or registered before.
  • If the boat has a hull identification number, a legible pencil tracing of the hull number is required.
  • If the boat does not have a hull identification number, FWC will need to inspect the boat and complete the "Inspection for Other Than Homemade Boat" form. This form must be submitted for titling.
  • Additional affidavits may be required, depending on circumstance.
  • Title and registration fees will apply and sales tax may also be collected, when applicable.
Users who viewed this answer also found the following helpful:
What is required to title and register a boat in Florida?
I just purchased a boat and outboard motor from the same seller. Are there any sales tax breaks on the purchase price of the complete rig?
I live out-of-state, my boat is registered out-of-state and I want to use the boat in Florida. Can this be done?
How do I obtain an antique boat decal? And, how much does one cost?
I already paid sales tax on my boat. What do I need to show to prove it?

Top of page