Skip to main content


Welcome to our FAQ! To find answers to your questions, please use the search feature below or browse the Featured Questions and Top 20 FAQs. If a FAQ does not answer your question, you can email our office for assistance by clicking on a specific FAQ, then clicking "I need more information about this subject" at the bottom of the answer.

Top of page


To search within a category, select the category from the dropdown list and enter your question or search term in the keyword box. To view all questions in a category, select the category from the dropdown list and leave the keyword box empty.

Top of page

Question detail

Back to search results Back to search results
Motor Vehicle /Mobile Home
I just bought a vehicle or mobile home but the seller lost the title. I want to transfer the title into my name and get a plate/decal. What do I need to do?
This answer has been viewed 2243 times and was last updated on 09/13/2018.
Print this page Print this page

Not a Manatee County resident?  Effective 7/24/17, Out-of-County residents needing to process title and/or registration transactions for vehicles, boats, and mobile homes can only be served at First Manatee South County Tag Agency, located at 5756 14th St W, Bradenton.

The quickest way to get the title in your name is to contact the seller and arrange for them to meet you at our office. Both of you will need to present your valid (unexpired) state-issued licenses/ID cards or valid (unexpired) passports. (This includes any co-sellers and/or co-purchasers.)

The seller will apply for a duplicate title at the same time it is transferred into your name, and at that time you will be issued a registration and plate/decal. Note: Double title fees will apply (1 for seller, 1 for buyer).

Additional details and requirements:

Duplicate title requirements

Florida title transfer requirements

Users who viewed this answer also found the following helpful:
I have a heavy truck or I plan on buying a heavy truck; what are the requirements and fees?
I am active duty or retired military. Are there any special pricing, privileges or exemptions available for me when titling or registering a car, truck or motorcycle?
What kind of license plates do you offer?
What is required to title and register a motor scooter or to register a moped?
How do I change the address on my car, truck, motorcycle or trailer registration?

Top of page