Did you know that if you are active duty or have retired from the military, you may be eligible for special driver license, motor vehicle, property tax, and hunting & fishing pricing, privileges, or exemptions?
Additional documentation may be required.
Florida Residents may be entitled to certain exemptions. If you are stationed outside of Florida, you may qualify for:
- Sales Tax exemption when titling and registering vehicles purchased out of state that are being kept out of Florida for at least 6 months. You must select the "Sales Tax Exemption" option on the Military Affidavit, comply with the requirements listed, and sign/print the document to submit with your application.
- $225 Initial Registration Fee (IRF) exemption for original plates. (You may also qualify for this if stationed in Florida.) You must select the "US Armed Forces" exemption on the IRF Exemption Affidavit, comply with the requirements listed, and sign/print the document to submit with your application.
- Insurance exemption, which allows a military member to submit out-of-state insurance when registering motor vehicles. You must select the "Florida Insurance Exemption" option on the Military Affidavit, comply with the requirements listed, and sign/print the document to submit with your application.
- You may qualify for one of the many military specialty plates available in Florida. Visit the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles' military plate information page for more details.
Out-of-state residents stationed here in Florida due to military orders may be exempt from certain registration taxes, subject to proof of eligibility.
The following property tax exemptions may be available to qualified individuals:
- Disability Veteran
- Service-connected Permanent Disability
For more detail on these specific exemptions, as well as any other exemptions you may qualify for, visit the website of the Property Appraiser's Office or contact them by phone at (941) 748-8208.
Veterans may request a "V" designation be added to the front of their driver license or ID card, provided they have proof of honorable discharge (i.e. DD-214). The fee to add the "V" ranges from $8.25 to $55.25 depending on the type of transaction being processed.
If you have a service-connected, 100% disability, you may be eligible for a discounted driver license, provided you have a letter or card from the Veteran's Administration. To be considered a 100% disabled veteran, you must have been honorably discharged from the armed forces and have a 100% total and permanent service-connected disability rating for compensation or a service-connected total and permanent disability rating of 100%. With proof of this status, we will waive endorsement fees, original license fees, renewal fees, and delinquent renewal fees. Typically, you will only pay $6.25 - $8.25 for your driver license or ID card.
See our Driver License Services page for additional requirements.
Hunting & Fishing
Florida residents who are active or retired from the military may be eligible for a Military Gold Sportsman's License, which is a reduced-fee version of what is available to other customers. More information can be found at MyFWC.com in the licensing section.
To view this page in a printable format, please access this link.
Title by Mail
You will need Adobe Acrobat to view and print the form. When downloading please be patient. Due to the size and your connection speed, the form may take a few minutes to download.
Military Info (PDF)