Logo: Manatee County Tax Collector, Ken Burton Jr. Innovating better ways to serve.

Office Hours
Monday – Friday, 9 AM - 4:30 PM

Non-US Citizen (Non-Immigrant)

Customers will be charged a $6.25 Tax Collector service fee for information and processing, and additional transaction fees may apply. Visit taxcollector.com to schedule your appointment. Selection of the incorrect appointment category will invalidate your appointment. Services are for Manatee County residents and businesses only.
Step 1. Proof of Legal Presence & Proof of Identity
You must provide proof of legal presence issued by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) AND proof of identity every time you apply for a license or ID card in the State of Florida. Proof submitted must be original and legible (photocopies are not permitted). Legal presence documents must have at least 61 days remaining until the expiration date. 

Visit flhsmv.gov/driver-licenses-id-cards/what-to-bring/non-immigrant/ to determine the Non-US Citizen (Non-Immigrant) documents required to apply for a Florida license or ID card. If you are in the United States under Temporary Protected Status (TPS), refer to our TPS publication (taxcollector.com/cip/cip-view.cfm?cip=338) for legal presence documents needed to apply for a Florida license or ID card.
Documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by a Written English Translation.
Step 2. Proof of Name Change (if applicable) – Bring ALL
If your current name is different than the name listed on your proof of legal presence, bring all that apply for proof of your legal name change (if applicable):
 Original or Certified Marriage License/Certificate (must be government issued – cannot be issued by a church)
 Divorce Decree
 Court Order   
Anytime you legally change your name due to marriage or court order, your name must first be changed with USCIS before you can apply for a name change on your Florida license or ID card.  You will still be required to present your original name change document and your new name must verify in the State of Florida system.
Documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by a Written English Translation.
Note: You must also report any name change to Social Security (if applicable) at least 48 hours before visiting our office so that your name verifies in the State driver license system and the Social Security Administration’s database.
Step 3. Proof of Social Security Number (if applicable) – Bring One
Sections 322.051 and 322.08, Florida Statutes, require customers to present proof of social security number (SSN). The proof presented must list full name and full SSN. If you have been issued an SSN, you must bring one of the following documents for proof:
 Social Security Card or Stub       W-2/1099 Form (pre-printed)      Pay Stub       Military ID card

If establishing ineligibility for an SSN, you must present evidence of a non-work authorized non-immigrant status OR provide proof of ineligibility for an SSN by submitting form L-676 issued by the Social Security Administration (SSA). Form L-676 must indicate that your current non-immigrant status does not allow you to work in the United States and you do not have a valid reason to get a non-work SSN.

Note: Failure to provide the necessary documents to SSA for the issuance of an SSN is not an acceptable ineligibility reason.

If you don’t have an SSN, you must also submit secondary identification. Note:  If you are later issued an SSN, you will need to (1) update your SSN online (or scan the QR code to access the site), or (2) provide proof to us during your next driver license/ID card transaction in order to update your record.
Step 4. Proof of Residential Address – Bring Two
Bring two documents for proof of your residential address – it cannot be a PO Box. The documents must show your name and your complete residential address.
 Any postmarked mail w/ sender information listed
 Cell phone/cable bill
 Rental/lease agreement
 Car/boat registration
 Voter registration card
 Bank/financial statement
 Federal/State EBT account printout
 Federal/State/County – mail or account
 Screen print from car insurance or other bill or business account
 Homeless – Letter from authorized Manatee County Non-Profit Agency serving the homeless indicating that you are a client receiving services is required

If you live with someone and you cannot provide a signed lease, or other documents, both parties must visit our office to sign affidavits/statements. Two proofs of address in the other individual’s name will be required.
Step 5. Bring Your Out-of-Country Driver License
Option 1: With the presentation of your Out-of-Country driver license, you will only be required to take and pass the following exams:
 General Knowledge written exam (except France, Taiwan & S Korea*)
Driving Skills Road Test (except Germany, France, Taiwan & S Korea*)
 Vision and Hearing exam

Documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by a Written English Translation. 
Option 2: If you have never been licensed before, you will be required to take and pass the following exams:
 Traffic Law & Substance Abuse (TLSAE)
 General Knowledge written exam
Driving Skills Road Test
 Vision and Hearing exam

Private companies can administer the Driving Skills Road Test on weekends, after hours, or during regular business hours.  Upon successful completion of the test, the company uploads your results to the State of Florida, allowing us to use the test results on file.  This expedites the issuance of your license when you visit our office.  Contact Ault’s Driver Education Center at 941.355.4202 or by email at aults@verizon.net for details. You can also visit flhsmv.gov/driver-licenses-id-cards/driver-license-exams for a list of other private providers.
Note: If you already have a valid Florida or Out-of-State driver license, exams will be reciprocated.
Step 6. Visit Our Office to Obtain Your Florida Driver License or ID Card
 Schedule an appointment online at taxcollector.comWe only serve Manatee County residents

 An Online Application is REQUIRED for all transactions! To complete your driver license or ID card transaction at one of our offices, you must complete the Online Driver License & ID Card Application (https://taxcollector.jotform.com/210103795736152) – or scan the QR code to access the application – prior to your appointment. Do not print the application; an associate will access your electronic submission during your appointment. Applications are valid for 90 days. 

Note: If your lawful status is unable to be verified and secondary verification is required, your Florida license or ID card may be mailed from Tallahassee within 60 days. If you applied for a Florida license, you will be given a temporary driving permit to allow you to drive in the meantime. If you applied for a Florida ID, you will not be given a temporary ID. You can check on the status of your mailed license/ID online at mydmvportal.flhsmv.gov/home/en/publicweb/dlcheck.
Step 7. Length of Driver License/ID Card
Your license or ID card will be valid until the expiration of your USCIS documentation not to exceed 4 years.
Step 8. Acceptable Methods of Payment and Estimated Fees
We accept cash, check, debit cards, and credit cards. A $2.50 processing fee for debit cards and a 2.5% processing fee (minimum of $2.50) for credit cards will apply. Our office does not retain any portion of this fee.
Estimate of fees for your Florida Driver License or ID Card:
Service Fee...........................................$6.25             Class E Driver License.....................$48.00
Commercial Driver License.............$75.00          Endorsements.....................................$7.00 (each) 
Replacement........................................$25.00          Renewal.................................................$48.00
Late Fee..................................................$15.00          ID Card...................................................$25.00

Not a Manatee County Resident? Our offices are open by appointment only for Manatee County residents/businesses only.  All out-of-county residents must visit their home county for information and processing.  To find a location, visit flhsmv.gov/locations.
NonUS_NonImmigrant – Last Update:01/05/2024