Boat Transfer - What you need to know
Not a Manatee County resident? Effective 7/24/17, Out-of-County residents needing to process title and/or registration transactions for vehicles, boats, and mobile homes can only be served at First Manatee South County Tag Agency, located at 5756 14th St W, Bradenton.
We want to make your visit to the Manatee County Tax Collector's Office a pleasant experience. For an estimate of fees, visit our motor vehicle fees page.
Don't want to spend time waiting? Schedule an appointment online. You will receive a coupon for a free car wash.
Would you like to complete your transaction by mail? Click here to visit our Title by Mail page.
Required Items to title a boat:
- The original title or certificate/statement of origin: Both the buyer and seller must properly complete the "Transfer of Title by Seller" section on the title. It must include printed names and signatures of buyer(s) and seller(s), selling price, and date of sale. NOTE: Cross-outs, white-out, alterations, or erasures may void the title. (Click here for example)
- Proper method of payment: Title transactions in our office can be paid for with cash, check, certified funds or debit card. Credit cards and "starter" checks are not accepted.
- Identification: All owners or purchasers* must be present with a valid (unexpired) state-issued Driver License/ID Card (includes US Territories) or a valid (unexpired) passport from any country. If an owner/purchaser cannot be present, consider using a Power of Attorney form to complete the transaction; you must have a copy of the absent individual's identification along with the completed Power of Attorney form.
- You will also be required to pay sales tax, if applicable.
* Businesses are required to submit documentation showing they are a valid business; typically, this can be done most easily with a printout from SunBiz. If the individual acting on behalf of the business is not listed as an officer, director, or registered agent on SunBiz, they must also submit, on letterhead, a letter that authorizes them to act on behalf of the business.
Did you purchase a boat and outboard motor from the same seller?
You may qualify for a partial sales tax exemption; see our complete rig FAQ for more information. Visit our motor vehicle page for information about registering your trailer.
Are you selling a motor vehicle, boat, or mobile home?
It is required for an owner or co-owner who has transferred or sold a motor vehicle, boat or mobile home to notify the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV) within 30 days after the sale or transfer to satisfy the requirement for limitation of liability. This can be done with a Notice of Sale or by detaching and completing the top 3rd of the Florida title, above the perforation, and mailing to the DHSMV at the address listed on the form.